28 October 2007

1 Peter 3:5

For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands; (NASB)

For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, (NIV)

Word study:
hoped (elpizo): to wait for salvation with joy and full confidence; hopefully to trust in
adorn (kosmeo): to put in order, arrange, make ready, prepare, to ornament, adore
submissive (hupotasso): in a military term--> arranging troops under the command of a leader; in a non military term--> voluntary attitude of giving in, cooperating, assuming responsibility and carrying a burden...same word submit in Eph 5:21-22


I started 1 Peter a few days ago...on the whim that I've diagnosed myself as "lukewarm" and the book had been on my heart in recent teachings and various other things. I read the above verse, and didn't think too much on it... other than the desire to be like the women of the past who were beautiful...and today after returning from church... I was prompted to do a word study. Reading the NASB version, the three words above struck me and dug deeper.

Hoped-the idea of waiting for salvation with FULL CONFIDENCE knowing it is not wavering or could be taken...was intense and moving for me
Adorn-not just making oneself pretty or attractive-but making ready and preparing...
Submissive-the word that has so many awful negative connotations with it--but really--a voluntary attitude of giving in, assuming responsibility and carrying a burden. I can't tell you how many times I've read books that have tried to clear up the misconception about submission...but this...this was clearer than anything I've read before.

I am blessed...struggling...but praising at all times...

No comments: