25 April 2009

Do not be anxious...

... about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Phil 4:6

I was listening to a teaching from Francis Chan "Living a Life that Matters: Living with Joy" and he points out that "Do not be anxious" is a command. Just as "Thou shall not murder" is a command. He also pointed out that the reason you are not anxious is because you have presented your requests to God. If I asked someone to do it, someone who is capable and faithful, then I have comfort knowing they would take of the task. So when I pray something to God-telling him that I trust his decisions and his work in my life, and then I worry about it-I'm not trusting him. At all. Because of all people, God is the one that is most capable of taking care of anything. Along the lines of commands, Phil 4:4 also commands, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" Again, another commandment, but interestingly enough this time the command is written twice. God doesn't repeat the ten commandments... he states them once. But rejoicing-must be such a difficult commandment, because he says it twice.

So why today, after listening to this sermon, do I find myself completely struggling being anxious. Worried. Scared. Frustrated. About the future. About what's going to happen and how it is all going to work out. I cry out to God, I prayed to him about it a long time ago, telling him that I trusted him to work out perfectly this situation... just like his word promises ...we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.(Rom 8:28)

This fear, this worry, this anxiousness... it's all evidence of my lack of trust. Of really trusting God in my life. By carrying this fear and worry around I am telling God that I don't trust him. I don't think he can handle my problems. I don't think he could really find a solution to my really "big" problem. Why? Why can't I remember all the things he has done for me. All the ways he has provided and loved me, shown me mercy and grace. How can I forget so easily...why can't I trust him this time?

No comments: