23 February 2011

Home at last...

Surgery recap. If you recall, there were a lot of variables with this surgery. Removing the bar, if they could remove all of it. Breaking one side or both sides. Taking a bone graft from the left hip if there wasn't enough bone on my jaw. Wired shut or banded.

The night before surgery didn't quite go as I had planned. As I laid down after doing last minute packing and cleaning and organizing the kid started making noise. Whiny noises (remember he's still fighting some sickness). So I got him out of the crib (not letting my mom take him since I figured this would be it for me picking him up for a while. I tried to get him to sleep, laying down with me, drinking milk, to my dismay nothing worked. He was still whiney and not sleeping an hour and a half later. So finally I put him back into his crib, and he slept. By now it was already 0130, and I had to be at Tripler at 0540. *sigh* Generally the night before surgery I like to stay up late anyway (since I normally go in early into surgery), and I figure I'll be getting all that sleep anyway, I might as well take advantage of it!

It seemed weird that I was supposed to be in the OR by 0730, and it was 0710 and I hadn't seen *anyone* from the oral surgery department. But I met the anesthesiologist and she was super nice. She freaked me out a little because she had asked M to give me a kiss, and I was like, are you going to put me under before you wheel me out of the room? She said of course, but she wanted M to kiss me first. Oddly enough, I don't remember being awake as I was wheeled out of the room.

Then I woke up, and my hip didn't hurt. But my mouth sure did. This only meant one thing-there was no hip graft done, and I was pretty upset about this because Dr. Closmann had made it pretty evident that my bone wasn't thick enough to support implants. But at this point, I just had to trust that God was in control. I didn't find out until this morning what really happened during surgery.

In the attempt to remove the "blasted bar" from my bone, they could only undo some of the screws (they're meant more to be permanent) and alas their $10K drill set could only undo 9 of the 15 screws. So when they were adjusting the leftover part of my bar, my bone snapped. Oh yes, snapped. Needless to say they went with that break as the point of reference to align my jaw. Because my bone snapped, the doctors did some debating about what to do for the bone graft. Since a live graft requires lots of stability, they didn't want any microfractures to occur and compromise the graft, so they opted for some synthetic bone. Like bone in a tube, or something. Then the bottom three brackets popped off during surgery while they were wiring me shut. So this morning, I laid in the ortho chair for about an hour (flat, with no ice), while he tried and tried to get the brackets back on (two times they popped off), then he decided he would cut the wire leaving the three brackets free, and just put new brackets, and then let them use bands for those last three teeth. Seriously, I felt super worse after that time in the chair. I think my swelling went up exponentially. *sigh*

So here I am. At home, finally. Didn't think it would feel so good to be home, but it does. Just that peace of not having nurses constantly coming in, to take my vitals, or give me meds, or ask if I need something. I might miss a few med doses, but I think it'll be worth it.

Speaking of which, I cannot wait to take a shower tomorrow. YES!

(PS-I apologize for any typos or incoherentness of this post, I would like to remind the audience that I am under the influence of prescribed narcotics. Good night!)

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, II Corinthians 1:3

No comments: