03 March 2011

Pain...

Is a very vague term. That's why they make you do a pain scale. But even then, I have a hard time with that. Because it's like, well it's kinda bad, but I've had worse and really it's all relative right? (I'd like to think these past few years has greatly increased my pain tolerance).

But very early this morning I woke up at 0300, exactly 6 hours after I had taken my codeine. I was miserable. I had to take more meds, but I couldn't sleep, for like 2 hours. Sadly, because of this I missed MSgt Williams' retirement ceremony today. I thought I could make it, but I wasn't expecting to miss out on 2 hours of sleep, and be in so much pain. When I woke up at like 0930, my first thought was literally, "I hate life." That's exactly what I said to Marcus when he came into the room. So yeah, I definitely missed his ceremony (started at 10).

So I wrote an email to Dr. Elyassi. Asking him to please get me some more oxycodone. I had been debating it yesterday, because I was practically out (I kept one dose in case of an emergency, but I hadn't thought to use it this morning). I mentioned earlier that I though oxycodone was codeine, so when he asked me for tylenol with codeine, I didn't think anything of it. But once I googled the two different pain meds, I realized how "strong" oxycodone is, and I didn't want to come off as some sort of druggie asking for some more pain meds. That's why I was debating yesterday about asking for me.

He emailed me back, asking if I wanted to pick it up at Hickam, I said I would but last time we tried to do that, Hickam didn't carry liquid oxycodone and I'd just pick up from Tripler. He finally responded with a, "You got it!" Within the hour I was up picking up my meds.

Unfortunately because I wasn't feeling too hot, we didn't make it to the commissary to get some juices and that awesome Ginger Rush by Govindas. But let me tell you... once we got home, and I took some oxycodon, within 10 minutes I was feeling better. Amazing. Plus my friend Marilyn had made some curried butternut squash, which Marcus faithfully blended for me, put some in a little container, heated up and I tasted. Heaven. In my mouth. Delicious is an understatement. So delicious.

It made me realize two things.
1) I do not enjoy making my own food. I might be able to think of it, but the act of warming it up, blending it, or trying to thin it or something... it just doesn't work for me. Greatly decreases my will to eat.
2) Not all soups are equal. As noted by yesterday's posted "Fail" with the tomato bisque soup. Not every soup tastes amazing blended and through a syringe.

So I'm very grateful for Marcus who makes my food when I ask him to (I need to start asking more). And I'm very grateful for Marilyn, who thought to make this delicious soup (and made it well). Thank you Lord.

I'm going to take a relatively pain free nap now.

Oh yes, I wanted to share some stuff from the handouts they give you when you get your medicine. The lady at the pharmacy was like, "You're taking tylenol with codeine?!" I responded that I was stopping that in order to take the oxycodone.

Anyway, enjoy this, I did.
WARNING: Oxycodone has a high risk for abuse and sever, possibly fatal, breathing problems. the risk for harm is higher if you take the wrong dose/strength, or if you take it along with other drugs that might also affect breathing. Be sure you know how to take oxycodone and what other drugs you should avoid taking with it.... Keep this medicine in a safe place to prevent theft, misuse, or abuse.
USES: This medication is used to help relieve moderate to severe pain. Oxycodone belongs to a class of drugs known as narcotic (opiate) analgesics. It works in the brain to change how your body feels and responds to pain.

Interesting when you actually read the medicine handouts hunh?

No comments: