07 September 2011

Standing on the Cross

Good morning!

I have been pretty ticked about my performance on our big test yesterday. I was neck-in neck with this other student who had also aced the first two tests so far. I could hear Satan trying to pull me back in this section of class, because it is the only section that I failed 4 years ago when I was at the Weather Officers' Course (the time I started this blog!). Anyway, so I hadn't aced any of the quizzes, but I also hadn't failed any.

Then during the test there was a few questions I wasn't sure about. I reviewed the test, and changed a couple answers. One question I had it narrowed down between two answers. And I could hear the Holy Spirit telling me to stick with what I knew. I knew I knew one part, but then I thought I knew the other part. So I foolishly stuck with the part I thought I knew (WHY?!) and I got it wrong. I changed the answer to the wrong answer.

Classic test mistake. Although I'm not sure the Holy Spirit always does this with other people... but it's been hard for me to swallow. I was pretty bent out of shape on it, because the other person aced his test.

My chica told me that I needed to ask God to forgive me for not performing up to my standards (and my heart, I was having a hard time in this class focusing on doing well for God's glory, and not for my own personal gain of doing well against this other person to compete for an award). I didn't even think that I needed to ask for forgiveness...so I tried yesterday. And in the end, I just tried not to think about it.

This morning's devo from Jon Courson is pretty sweet... I think it sums up what I need to be doing right now-Standing on the Cross. Enjoy!


How beautiful are thy feet with shoes, O prince’s daughter!
Song of Solomon 7:1 (a)
The king compliments his bride upon the beauty of her feet, which is somewhat unusual since feet are not necessarily the prettiest part of a person. But therein lies an interesting thought. You see, according to Ephesians 6:15, we are shod with the preparation of the Gospel of peace. That is, we stand on the Gospel of peace - not upon our own efforts, works, or righteousness, but on the good news of God’s peace with us.

When Moses stood on holy ground, what did God instruct him to do? Remove the sandals from his feet (Exodus 3:5). When the prodigal son returned home, what did his father do? He put sandals on his feet (Luke 15:22). Why? Because Moses speaks of the Law, while the prodigal speaks of grace.

If you think you can stand on the Law, take off your shoes because you’ll never make it. You cannot earn or deserve God’s blessings. But if you’re at a place where you say, “I need God’s forgiveness, grace, and mercy in my life,” then, like the prodigal, you will experience the Gospel of peace being placed upon your feet.

Dear Church, dear Bride, hear this: We do not stand on what we do or how we behave. We stand on the finished work of the Cross. We stand on what Jesus Christ has done for us. We stand on the Gospel of peace.

No comments: