14 January 2012

Surgery #4

Well folks, it's that time again... to prep for surgery. I had an appt on Tuesday and after much internal debate, prayer, broken worship, I submitted my body to the surgeons. I told them they could cut a chunk of hip out (which I was so adamantly against earlier). We went over my CT scans...

This is a scan that shows my titanium bars that are in my mouth right now. You can see that my grafted bone has dissolved and my larger bar is no longer even screwed into any bone, it's just sitting underneath it. You can also see that my right side is mishaped and sinks in more than the left side. You can also see that where they cut my bar in the last surgery, sticks out... which makes me feel better. There were days I literally felt like my bar was going to stick through my skin... now I know why. Thankfully, the doctors will be removing both bars.
In this picture (the doc drew over to show what he wants to do), but beyond the ink marks, you can see the red and blue bone. The red bone is my grafted bone, and where they meet there is a fracture. Yup, I'm walking around with a fractured jaw.

Their procedure is this: cut on both sides of the fracture to give a clean break, then add a chunk of hip into that hole, use that piece of hip to help lift up my soft tissue, and then stuff the sides with the BMP. Yup, my doc is gonna use the controversial BMP.

Side effects: Pain in the left hip, wired shut for at least 3 weeks, soft foods/no chew diet for 2 months afterwards.

Waiting for a surgery date, either 25 Jan or 1 Feb. Hoping to know on Tuesday. I'll keep ya'll updated... (ah*hem, Natasha).


1 comment:

Kimberly Shigeoka said...

The images are cool. And you'll get a cool scar... if that helps (I know I'm real helpful)